- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 12 ounces 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 8 cups lightly packed prechopped kale or baby kale
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 2 8-inch whole-grain naan breads (see Tips) or whole-wheat pitas
- ¾ cup mini mozzarella balls, such as mozzarella “pearls” (see Tips)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler to high.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil, garlic and crushed red pepper in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. As soon as the garlic starts to sizzle, add turkey, fennel seeds, paprika and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Cook, breaking up the turkey with a wooden spoon, until it is almost cooked, 2 to 3 minutes. Add kale, vinegar and the remaining ⅛ teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, until the kale is wilted and the turkey is no longer pink, 2 to 3 minutes more. Remove from heat.
- Place naan (or pitas) on a large baking sheet and brush with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Top with equal portions of the turkey mixture and mozzarella.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and the edges are starting to brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Cut in half.
- Naan—Indian flatbread—makes a nice pizza crust when you're in a hurry. It's lower in sodium than our other favorite pizza-dough substitute, whole-wheat pita. Look for it in your supermarket bakery or deli.
- Sometimes labeled “pearls” or bocconcini, mini fresh mozzarella balls are perfect for plopping on a pizza whole. If you can't find them, thinly slice regular fresh mozzarella.
- Cut Down on Dishes: A rimmed baking sheet is great for everything from roasting to catching accidental drips and spills. For effortless cleanup and to keep your baking sheets in tip-top shape, line them with a layer of foil before each use.
- Serving size: ½ pizza
- Per serving: 498 calories; 28 g fat(8 g sat); 6 g fiber; 33 g carbohydrates; 30 g protein; 54 mcg folate; 86 mg cholesterol; 4 g sugars; 2 g added sugars; 3,726 IU vitamin A; 39 mg vitamin C; 339 mg calcium; 4 mg iron; 718 mg sodium; 396 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (75% daily value), Vitamin C (65% dv), Calcium (34% dv), Iron (22% dv)
Body Fit by Lynette, LLC dba BODY FIT GYM
2703 Bearco Lp
La Grande, OR 97850
VETERANS APPLY FOR A FREE YEAR MEMBERSHIP: http://liftforthe22.org/select.php
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach