- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm water-packed tofu, drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper, divided
- 8 ounces whole-wheat egg noodles (6 cups dry)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
5 tablespoons dry sherry, divided
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 10 ounces baby bella or button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or ½ teaspoon dried
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- ½ cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Cut tofu block in half crosswise. Cut each piece in thirds horizontally, then cut each stack crosswise again into 6 pieces. (You will have 36 strips, 2 inches by ½ inch.) Pat the tofu dry with paper towels and sprinkle on all sides with paprika and ¼ teaspoon each salt and white pepper.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add noodles and cook according to package directions. Drain and keep covered.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the tofu in a single layer, gently stirring every few minutes, until golden brown on all sides, 7 to 9 minutes total. Add 2 tablespoons sherry and cook, stirring, until evaporated, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Transfer the tofu to a plate with a slotted spoon.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add onion, mushrooms, thyme and the remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and white pepper; cook, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms release their liquid and start to brown, 6 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in broth and the remaining 3 tablespoons sherry; bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring, until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes more. Stir the tofu into the sauce. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Serve the tofu stroganoff over the noodles.
- Serving size: about 1¾ cups
- Per serving: 487 calories; 19 g fat(5 g sat); 7 g fiber; 53 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 54 mcg folate; 12 mg cholesterol; 6 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 424 IU vitamin A; 5 mg vitamin C; 250 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 618 mg sodium; 572 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value)
Body Fit by Lynette, LLC dba BODY FIT GYM
2703 Bearco Lp
La Grande, OR 97850
VETERANS APPLY FOR A FREE YEAR MEMBERSHIP: http://liftforthe22.org/select.php
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach