- 1 cup raw whole almonds
- 5 whole pitted dates
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5½ cups water, plus more for soaking
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Honey, maple syrup or agave syrup (optional)
- Combine almonds, dates and cinnamon stick in a large bowl. Cover with water and let soak at for least 8 hours or overnight. Drain almonds and dates; discard cinnamon stick. Rinse almonds and dates.
- Puree the almonds, dates and 5½ cups water in a blender until finely ground. Strain the almond milk through a sieve lined with a double thickness of cheesecloth (or a nut-milk bag) into a large measuring cup or bowl. Gather the cheesecloth (or the nut-milk bag) and squeeze to extract as much almond milk as possible. Discard the pulp or reserve for another use (see Tips). Whisk vanilla, salt and sweetener, if using, into the almond milk.
- To make ahead: Refrigerate the almond milk for up to 3 days.
- Tips: To prepare in an Almond Cow machine, place almonds in basket of the machine. Pour water into the base, up to minimum line, adding more if necessary. Close and grind for 1 minute (2 cycles). Discard almond pulp or reserve for another use (see below). Place dates in the basket, grind for 1 minute. Discard date pulp. Whisk vanilla, salt and sweetener, if using, into the almond milk.
- You can add the leftover almond and date pulp to hot cereals and smoothies.
- Serving size: scant 1 cup
- Per serving: 10 calories; 1 g fat(0 g sat); 0 g fiber; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 mcg folate; 0cholesterol; 0 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 0 IU vitamin A; 0 vitamin C; 7 mg calcium; 0 iron; 103mg sodium; 5 mg potassium
Body Fit by Lynette, LLC dba BODY FIT GYM
2703 Bearco Lp
La Grande, OR 97850
VETERANS APPLY FOR A FREE YEAR MEMBERSHIP: http://liftforthe22.org/select.php
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach