- 2 cups toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt plus 1/2 teaspoon, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces, divided
- 2 3/4 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9-by-13-inch baking pan with foil, letting it overhang the sides; coat with cooking spray.
- Spread pecans and brown sugar in the prepared pan; sprinkle with cinnamon and a pinch of salt, then drizzle with vanilla. Evenly distribute 5 tablespoons of the butter pieces over the nut mixture.
- Whisk flour, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Work the remaining 7 tablespoons butter into the flour mixture using a pastry blender, two knives or your fingertips until it's pea-sized. Make a well in the center of the mixture. Pour in buttermilk and stir just until combined. Cover the nut mixture with dollops of dough (about 1 heaping tablespoon each); it's OK if there are a few uncovered spots.
- Bake the coffee cake until bubbling around the edges and barely starting to brown on top, about 35 minutes. Invert a serving platter or cutting board on top of the hot cake; holding both, carefully turn them over and remove the baking pan. Spoon any stray topping back onto the cake. Let cool for 20 minutes. Serve warm.
- Serving size: one 2-by-3-inch piece
- Per serving: 288 calories; 18 g fat(6 g sat); 3 g fiber; 30 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 4 mcg folate; 24 mg cholesterol; 13 g sugars; 11 g added sugars; 287 IU vitamin A; 0 mg vitamin C; 104 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 248 mg sodium; 136 mg potassium
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2
- Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 1/2 fat
Body Fit by Lynette
1304 Adams Avenue
La Grande, OR 97850
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
Your Health Specialist: https://lynettew.myitworks.com/
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach