- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 6 large egg whites
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped and melted (see Tip)
- Position rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 350°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Beat egg whites in a large bowl with an electric mixer until foamy, about 1 minute. Beat in granulated sugar in a slow, steady stream. Scrape down the sides, then beat in brown sugar 1 tablespoon at a time. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate. Stir in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon until just incorporated.
- Drop the batter by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheet, 1½ inches apart.
- Bake the cookies until flat yet springy, with slightly cracked tops, 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Let the pan cool for a few minutes before baking another batch; replace parchment paper if torn or scorched.
- Tip: Two foolproof ways to melt chocolate: 1. Bring 1 inch of water to a simmer in a double boiler set over medium-high heat, then place chocolate in the top pan. (Alternatively, to improvise a double boiler, place chocolate in a heat-safe mixing bowl that fits snugly over a pan with 1 inch of simmering water.) Stir until half the chocolate has melted. Remove the bowl and continue stirring until the chocolate has fully melted. Cool for 5 minutes at room temperature. 2. Place the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on High for 1 minute. Stir well, then continue microwaving in 30-second increments on High until two-thirds of the chocolate has melted, stirring well after each heating. Remove the bowl and continue stirring until all the chocolate has melted. Cool for 5 minutes at room temperature.
- Enhancements: Stir ⅔ cup raisins, dried cherries or dried blueberries into the Chewy Chocolate Cookies batter along with the flour mixture. Or use ½ cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts.
- Serving size: 1 cookie
- Per serving: 72 calories 1 g fat(1 g sat); 1 g fiber; 14 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 7 mcg folate; 0 mg cholesterol; 11 g sugars; 10 g added sugars; 0 IU vitamin A; 0 mg vitamin C; 9 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 50 mg sodium; 41 mg potassium
Body Fit by Lynette
1304 Adams Avenue
La Grande, OR 97850
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach