Hands-on Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb boneless sirloin steak, trimmed and cut into ½-inch-thick pieces
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 lb sweet potato, peeled and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 lb broccoli, tough stems removed
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- In a large stockpot, bring broth and 1 cup water to a boil. Stir in barley and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 35 minutes. (NOTE: If pot becomes dry, add more water in 1/2-cup increments.)
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, heat oil on medium. Add onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until beginning to turn translucent. Add steak and garlic and sauté, stirring often, for 4 minutes, until steak is cooked through. Transfer to a large bowl.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt. Make a well in center and add egg and milk to well. Stir until just combined; set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400˚F. Once barley has cooked for 35 minutes, increase heat to bring to a boil; if needed, add 1/2 cup water. Stir in potato and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in broccoli and carrot and simmer for 5 more minutes. Arrange a fine mesh sieve over a medium bowl. Strain barley mixture through sieve, reserving cooking liquid in bowl.
- Add drained barley mixture to beef mix- ture and stir in Italian seasoning. In a liquid measuring cup, add barley cooking liquid and enough additional water to total 1½ cups liquid. Stir into beef-barley mixture. Spoon mixture into 4 16-oz oven-safe ramekins. Top each with a quarter of dough, gently spreading over tops to cover. Bake until tops begin to brown, about 20 minutes.
Dedicated to your Health & Happiness!
Body Fit by Lynette
1304 Adams Avenue
La Grande, OR 97850
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
Your Health Specialist: http://lynettewilliamson.myzija.com/
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach