- ¾ cup white whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup white sugar
- ½ cup coconut oil or butter
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest, divided
- ½ cup nonfat milk
- ¾ cup chopped strawberries
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 to 6 drops red natural food coloring (optional)
- 12 small mint leaves & lemon slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 12 ( ½-cup) muffin cups with paper liners.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat granulated sugar and coconut oil (or butter) in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until creamy. Add eggs, 2 teaspoons lemon zest and vanilla; beat until combined. With the mixer on low, alternately mix in the dry ingredients and milk, starting and ending with dry ingredients and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed, until just combined. Fold in strawberries. Divide the batter among the prepared cups.
- Bake the cupcakes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 18 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, the remaining 2 teaspoons lemon zest and food coloring, if using, in a mixing bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until smooth. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- Frost each cupcake with a generous tablespoon of the cream cheese frosting and top with a mint leaf and lemon slice, if desired.
- Equipment: Muffin tin with 12 ( ½-cup) cups, paper liners
- Serving size: 1 cupcake
- Per serving: 247 calories; 14 g fat(11 g sat); 1 g fiber; 26 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 25 mcg folate; 45 mg cholesterol; 16 g sugars; 13 g added sugars; 226 IU vitamin A; 7 mg vitamin C; 77 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 189 mg sodium; 90 mg potassium
Body Fit by Lynette
1304 Adams Avenue
La Grande, OR 97850
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach