- 4 ripe, firm Bosc pears
- 1½ cups pomegranate juice
- 1 cup sweet dessert wine, such as Muscatel or Riesling
- ½ cup pomegranate seeds, ( ½ large fruit; see Tip)
- Peel pears, leaving them whole and stems intact. Slice off the bases so the pears will stand upright. Use an apple corer to remove cores, if desired, working from the base up.
- Place the pears on their sides in a large saucepan or small Dutch oven. Pour pomegranate juice and wine over the pears. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until the pears are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife, 30 to 45 minutes. Turn very gently once or twice as they cook so they color evenly. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pears to a shallow bowl and set aside.
- Boil the poaching liquid over high heat until the sauce is reduced to ½ cup, 15 to 20 minutes.
- To serve, spoon 1 tablespoon sauce onto each of 4 dessert plates. Place a pear upright on each plate. Drizzle remaining sauce over each pear and sprinkle pomegranate seeds around it.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3. Cover and refrigerate pears in sauce for up to 2 days. Serve at room temperature.
- Tip: Fill a large bowl with water. Hold the pomegranate in the water and slice off the crown. Lightly score the fruit into quarters, from crown to stem end. Keeping the fruit under water, break it apart, gently separating the plump seeds from the outer skin and white pith. The seeds will drop to the bottom of the bowl and the pith will float to the surface. Discard the pith. Pour the seeds into a colander. Rinse and pat dry.
- Serving size: 1 pear & 2 Tbsp. pomegranate seeds
- Per serving: 302 calories; 4 g fat(1 g sat); 7 g fiber; 53 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 46 mcg folate; 6 mg cholesterol; 37 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 100 IU vitamin A; 10 mg vitamin C; 57 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 30 mg sodium; 554 mg potassium
Body Fit by Lynette
1304 Adams Avenue
La Grande, OR 97850
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach