- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white whole-wheat flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 3-4 tablespoons ice water
- 2 pounds strawberries, sliced (about 5 cups), divided
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup water
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 (8 ounce) package reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- To prepare crust: Mix flour and salt in a large bowl or food processor. Cut in cold butter using a pastry blender, two knives or by pulsing in the food processor, until the butter forms pebble-size pieces with the flour. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough is evenly moist (but not wet) and is just starting to clump together, being careful not to overmix. Pat the dough into a 5-inch disk. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days. Remove from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before rolling out.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll the dough between sheets of parchment paper into a 12- to 13-inch circle. Peel off the top sheet and invert the dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Remove the second sheet. Tuck the overhanging dough under, forming a double-thick edge. Crimp the edge with your fingers, a fork or spoon. Prick the crust with a fork several times.
- Bake the crust until barely golden brown on the edges, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to prepare filling: Puree 1¾ cups strawberries in a food processor until smooth. Whisk sugar, water and cornstarch in a medium saucepan until the sugar is dissolved. Stir in the strawberry puree. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, lemon zest and vanilla in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread evenly in the bottom of the baked crust.
- Add the remaining sliced strawberries to the cooled strawberry mixture; gently stir to combine. Pour the filling into the crust. Refrigerate until cold and the filling is set, about 4 hours.
- To make ahead: Refrigerate crust for up to 2 days.
- Equipment: 9-inch pie pan (not deep-dish), parchment paper.
- Serving size: 1 slice
- Per serving: 270 calories; 12 g fat(7 g sat); 3 g fiber; 37 g carbohydrates; 5 g protein; 25 mcg folate; 35 mg cholesterol; 22 g sugars; 17 g added sugars; 415 IU vitamin A; 54 mg vitamin C; 45 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 137 mg sodium; 195 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (90% daily value)
Body Fit by Lynette
1304 Adams Avenue
La Grande, OR 97850
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach