- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1⅓ cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions, (about 1 bunch)
- ¾ cup diced Canadian bacon, (3 ounces)
- ½ cup grated Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup finely diced red bell pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil and butter in a medium bowl. Fold in scallions, bacon, cheese and bell pepper. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until just moistened. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan (the cups will be very full).
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
- Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap in plastic and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 1 month. To reheat, remove plastic, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Tip Reheat & Run Bake muffins on weekends and enjoy the leftovers for grab-and-go weekday breakfasts. Wrap leftover muffins individually in plastic wrap, place in a plastic storage container or ziplock bag and freeze for up to 1 month. To thaw, remove plastic wrap, wrap in a paper towel and microwave on High for 30 to 60 seconds.
- Storage smarts: For long-term freezer storage, wrap your food in a layer of plastic wrap followed by a layer of foil. The plastic will help prevent freezer burn while the foil will help keep off-odors from seeping into the food.
- Serving size: 1 muffin
- Per serving: 231 calories 9 g fat(3 g sat); 3 g fiber; 29 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 15 mcg folate;45 mg cholesterol; 2 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 442 IU vitamin A; 10 mg vitamin C; 149 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 368 mg sodium; 212 mg potassium
Body Fit by Lynette
1304 Adams Avenue
La Grande, OR 97850
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach