- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps
- 4 cups sliced baby bella mushrooms
- 1 cup diced onion or shallot
- ½ cup diced celery
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dry sherry
- 4 cups "no-chicken" broth or mushroom broth
- 1 cup water
- 1½ cups chopped walnuts
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- Mushroom-Walnut Topping
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup coarsely chopped shiitake mushroom caps
- 1 cup coarsely chopped baby bella mushrooms
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons sliced fresh chives
- To prepare soup: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add 4 cups shiitake mushrooms, 4 cups baby bella mushrooms, onion (or shallot), celery, garlic, thyme and ½ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Add sherry; increase heat to high and simmer, stirring often, until the sherry has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add broth and bring to a simmer. Puree water and 1½ cups walnuts in a blender until completely smooth, about 1 minute. Pour into the soup; return to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are very soft, about 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile, prepare topping: Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until soft, about 2 minutes. Add walnuts and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 1 minute more.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a regular blender (in batches, if necessary) until very smooth. (Use caution when blending hot liquids.) Stir in vinegar and pepper.
- Serve the soup topped with the mushroom-walnut mixture and chives.
- To make ahead: Prepare throuugh Step 4 and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Serving size: 2 cups
- Per serving: 534 calories; 46 g fat(5 g sat); 7 g fiber; 23 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 98 mcg folate; 0 cholesterol; 7 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 141 IU vitamin A; 6 mg vitamin C; 99 mg calcium; 3 mg iron; 410 mg sodium; 928 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Folate (24% daily value)
Body Fit by Lynette, LLC dba BODY FIT GYM
2703 Bearco Lp
La Grande, OR 97850
VETERANS APPLY FOR A FREE YEAR MEMBERSHIP: http://liftforthe22.org/select.php
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach