- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup finely chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, divided
- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 large bone-in chicken breast, (10-12 ounces), skin removed, trimmed
- ⅓ cup pearl barley
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup trimmed and diagonally sliced asparagus, ( ¼ inch thick)
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen peas
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- ½ cup lightly packed torn fresh basil leaves
- 1 strip orange zest, ( ½ by 2 inches)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat; add onion and celery and cook, stirring, until beginning to soften, 2 to 4 minutes. Grate or finely chop 1 clove garlic; add to the pan and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add broth, chicken and barley. Bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate with a slotted spoon. Return the broth to a simmer and cook until the barley is tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken or cut into bite-size pieces; discard the bone.
- When the barley is done, add the chicken, tomatoes and juice, asparagus, peas, salt and a grinding of pepper; return to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the asparagus is tender, about 5 minutes more.
- Coarsely chop the remaining garlic clove. Gather basil, orange zest and the garlic and finely chop together. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle each serving with a generous pinch of the basil mixture.
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat the soup, thin with broth if desired and finish with Step 4 just before serving.
- Serving size: 2 cups
- Per serving: 254 calories; 5.0 g fat(1.0 g sat); 7.0 g fiber; 30.0 g carbohydrates; 22.0 g protein; 100.0 mcg folate; 32 mg cholesterol; 8.0 g sugars; 1598.0 IU vitamin A; 31.0 mg vitamin C; 68.0 mg calcium; 3.0 mg iron;1235 mg sodium; 712.0 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (52% daily value), Vitamin A (32% dv), Folate (25% dv)
Body Fit by Lynette
1304 Adams Avenue
La Grande, OR 97850
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach