- 1 cup water
- ½ cup red quinoa
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 cups finely chopped cremini or white button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¾ teaspoon dried marjoram
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 large egg
- ⅔ cup shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup whole pecans, toasted and finely chopped (see Tip)
- ⅓ cup quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 8 small whole-wheat burger buns, toasted if desired
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic, marjoram and oregano; cook, stirring, until the mushrooms are tender, about 5 minutes. Let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Beat egg in a medium bowl. Add the quinoa, mushroom mixture, cheese, pecans, oats and soy sauce; stir to combine. Scoop scant ½-cup portions of the mixture onto the baking sheet and shape into 8 patties, about 3 inches wide, leaving about 1 inch of space between each patty. (The mixture will be crumbly; patting it into burgers on the baking sheet makes it easier to work with. The burgers hold together very well once baked.)
- Bake the burgers until crispy, 28 to 30 minutes. Serve on buns with your favorite garnishes.
- Make Ahead Tip: Individually wrap and freeze cooked burgers for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator. Reheat in a skillet with a little oil.
- For the best flavor, toast nuts before adding to recipes. Spread whole nuts on a baking sheet and bake at 350°F, stirring once, until fragrant, 7 to 9 minutes. For chopped nuts, place in a small dry skillet and cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Serving size: 1 burger (with bun)
- Per serving: 280 calories; 12 g fat(2 g sat); 6 g fiber; 35 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 48 mcg folate; 29 mg cholesterol; 6 g sugars; 4 g added sugars; 105 IU vitamin A; 2 mg vitamin C; 159 mg calcium; 2 mg iron; 372 mg sodium; 353 mg potassium
Body Fit by Lynette
1304 Adams Avenue
La Grande, OR 97850
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach