- 2 slices whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 2 pounds broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour
- 3½ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¾ teaspoon ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded Colby-Jack Cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Spread the breadcrumbs on a baking sheet and bake until dry and crispy, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large pot fitted with a steamer basket. Steam broccoli until just tender, 4 to 6 minutes. Chop coarsely and spread evenly in the prepared baking dish.
- Increase oven temperature to 350°F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, until soft and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and cook for 1 minute. While stirring, slowly pour in chicken broth. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in cream cheese, Worcestershire, pepper and salt, cook, stirring, until smooth, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in 1½ cups cheese. Pour the cheese sauce over the broccoli.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Combine the melted butter and the breadcrumbs in a medium bowl. Spread evenly over the broccoli mixture. Top with the remaining ½ cup cheese.
- Bake until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling around the edges, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serving size: ¾ cup
- Per serving: 224 calories; 15 g fat(8 g sat); 3 g fiber; 13 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 76 mcg folate; 25 mg cholesterol; 2 g sugars; 0 g added sugars; 2,623 IU vitamin A; 73 mg vitamin C; 215 mg calcium; 1 mg iron; 331 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium
- Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (122% daily value), Vitamin A (52% dv), Calcium (22% dv)
Body Fit by Lynette, LLC dba BODY FIT GYM
2703 Bearco Lp
La Grande, OR 97850
Please Follow Us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/bodyfitbylynette
YOUTUBE CHANNEL: Body Fit by Lynette LLC
La Grande's Certified Fitness Trainer since 2004
ISSA Fitness Trainer
ISSA Specialist in Exercise Therapy
NESTA Lifestyle Fitness Coach
NESTA Fitness Nutrition Coach